Monday, 27 September 2010

Channel 4's 100 Greatest pop (music) videos Part 1

#80 Radiohead: Just
#81 Ultravox: Vienna
#82 50 Cent: In Da Club
#83 Shakespear's Sister: Stay
#84 The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Mondays
#85 Sid Vicious: My Way
#86 The Streets: Fit But You Know It
#87 Talking Heads: Once in a Lifetime
#88 Elton John: I Want Love
#89 Smashing Pumpkins: Tonight Tonight
#90 The Pet Shop Boys: Go West
#91 The Specials: Ghost Town
#92 Herbie Hancock: Rockit
#93 The Rolling Stones: We Love You
#94 Bonnie Tyler: Total Eclipse of the Heart
#95 The Cardigans: My Favourite Game
#96 So Solid Crew: 21 Seconds
#97 Cornershop: Brimful of Asha
#98 Bronski Beat: Smalltown Boy
#99 Supergrass: Pumping on Your Stereo
#100 Musical Youth: Pass the Dutchie
Cornershop - Brimful of Asha




I think this music video is original and unique because the idea of a girl playing her records and just having fun. The band name Cornershop appears repeatedly throughout the video. This appeared to be accidentally controversial as some people thought this was some kind of subliminal messaging but the band deny this accusation. I enjoy the idea of the images of the band on each record moving it gives a sense of energy and encourages the audience to get involved with the song and the beat.

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime




It is probably because of this music video by Talking Heads that has raised arguments whether music videos are an art form and an expression of art. It is clear however that this particular music video is considered to be the first music video to be considered art, this was a big deal. I enjoy the video but probably for the wrong reasons. Even though the video is serious and shows different cultures as well as representing victims of "shell shock" from world war I in dance, I thought the dancing was highly amusing.
Ultravox - Vienna





The music video of Vienna by Ultravox has been considered to be one of the strangest encountered. The story in the video has nothing to do with the lyrics of the song, however the video has some interesting features. The entire video gives a sense of surrealism, especially the dinner party scene where the is a man with a terrible disease, a one handed man and a tarantula crawling across another mans face. The video chanegs colour regularly from a blue/purple colour background to a normal coloured scene. Parts of the video give off a "Film Noir" look to givea older look to the video. I'm not sure what to make of the video myself, I am not a fan of this video but I do like the editing, camera shots and angles to emphasize the status of the charcters.

No comments:

Post a Comment